3/2/13

Homemade Geneva Cookies



 
Here in the Netherlands, we don't really have Geneva cookies, or I'm just blind and never see 'em.
The point is, I have never eaten one. Like in my whole life. Or I forgot.
Let's just assume that I've never eaten one, okay?
Okay.
 
 
 
 
I really loved these cookies! I made 60 cookies, and now, 2 days later, I only have 12 cookies left.
Yeah, I'm not kidding. And my dog didn't ate them, for once! She is incredibly naughty and the minute she has the chance, she takes whatever she can take. Sometimes she even jumps up and grabs the sandwich in your hand. But that's part of why she fits so good in my family, we're all obsessed with food.
In my house are 6 people, including me, and we are real cookie lovers. Especially when the cookies are not that big, so naturally you can eat a dozen of them and not feel really guilty. Since they're small, it's okay, right?
 
 
 
'- To save time:
- You seriously don’t need to make these oval shaped – it saves a lot of hassle if you just make the cookies round: just roll the dough into 1″ balls, place on the lined cookie sheet and flatten into 1/4″ thick circles; they’ll be just as good, and much quicker to make.'

This is in the notes from Top with cinnamon. It's not that you can misunderstand it, it's quite clear. You really don't have to make these oval shaped. Really, you don't. And ofcourse, I was like; 'O, I'll just make them oval shaped, that looks nicer and then they're more like the original cookies and it's just cute. I mean, how much more work can it be?'
I was so wrong. They did look cute oval shaped, but it took a lot of time! I'd seriously recommend you to just make these round. Or, I just come to think of, you can roll the dough and then cut out ovals or rounds. Why didn't I try that? That would be a lot easier.
 
 
 


 
 
Izy from Top with cinnamon also has a super easy tutorial for tempering chocolate. I've once tried to temper chocolate, but it didn't really work out... Everything just got messy and coated with chocolate, except for the cookies I wanted to coat in chocolate. So I was really happy when I tried her method. You just keep on processing the chocolate in a food processor until it's nice and melted. It worked out really good! If you look well at the picture above, you'll see that the chocolate is shiny.

 
 
 
 
I made 4 different flavours. The 3 flavours that were in the recipe, and caramel.  I have a big box with little caramel bits that taste really nice and caramel-y. I liked the ones with candy cane and white chocolate the most. Chocolate drizzled with more chocolate is always a winner for me.
 






DIY Geneva Cookies – Pecan / Candy Cane / Coconut
Serving Size: makes about 50 cookies
 
14 tbsp (7 oz) unsalted butter (see notes)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp vinegar (anything but balsamic!) or lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 cups all purpose flour
8 to 10 oz semisweet / bittersweet chocolate, melted (and tempered if you can be bothered - see notes)
For the toppings ~ 1/2 to 2/3 cup of one of the following:
1/3 cup toasted chopped pecans, toasted dessicated coconut, crushed candy cane
 

 
Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
Cream the butter, sugar, vanilla and vinegar/lemon juice together in a large bowl. Add in the next 4 ingredients and stir until just combined.
Divide the dough into 1" balls, roll the dough balls into 2 1/4" long sausage shapes, place onto a lined cookie sheet.

Flatten the sausages of dough into oval shapes (see notes) – about 1/4 inch thick, spaced 1/2″ apart on the cookie sheet.
Bake for 17-20 minutes until they are a light golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
Once cooled, spread about 1/2 tsp of melted (tempered if you can be bothered) chocolate onto the bottom of each cookie (you can use a pastry brush, pallette knife or butter knife), and sprinkle with your desired toppings. Let the chocolate set at room temperature. Store in an airtight container.


Notes from Top With Cinnamon:

-I’ve subbed half the butter for 3.5 0z of coconut oil (i.e. used 3.5 oz of butter + 3.5 oz of coconut oil) and it works just as well!
- If you want an easy way to temper the chocolate, I’ve got an easy, step-by-step image guide here
- To save time:
- You seriously don’t need to make these oval shaped – it saves a lot of hassle if you just make the cookies round: just roll the dough into 1″ balls, place on the lined cookie sheet and flatten into 1/4″ thick circles; they’ll be just as good, and much quicker to make.
- instead of coating the bottom of the cookies w/ the chocolate, just dip one half of the cookie into the chocolate, then dip it into the toppings
- You can use any other toppings you want – don’t limit yourself to those three, go crazy! – chopped peanuts, hazelnuts, spread on some nutella, crushed pretzels, crushed potato chips, flaky sea salt, chopped toffee, chopped candy bars (rolo or snickers would be just…I can’t even…), dried fruit, freeze dried fruit, mini marshmallows… whatever!
- I also drizzled the peppermint Geneva Cookies with a but of melted white chocolate for some pizazz :O ahaha



No comments:

Post a Comment