3/18/13

Blueberry Lemon Scones




So, I made these scones 2 weeks ago, and I wanted to post them right away, but I forgot, and decided to post the croissants first.



The day I made these, it was beautiful weather. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and I could smell spring. It got me so excited to finally have that feeling, that I instantly decided to make these scones. The day before, I had bought a t-shirt with the words 'It's 8:00 am and I've already eaten a blueberry muffin.' So I knew that I had to make scones with blueberries instead of the normal ones.
We didn't have any blueberries on hand, so at 8:30 I cycled to the supermarket to get some. I felt the fresh air blowing in my hair and the sun warming up my face. I felt so happy at that moment. Funny, how just a change of weather can totally change your mood. 

I made these scones and at them, some with clotted cream and lemon curd, some with clotted cream and raspberry jam and some with a lemon glaze that came with the recipe for the scones. I didn't really like the glaze, but the other two were delicious. I liked the ones with the lemon curd and clotted cream the most. 
 
 
 
And a couple of days later.....
 
 
It started snowing.
 
And freezing.
 
And it was soooo cold.
 
 
I was like, you got to be kidding me?! But no, mother nature thought; 'Now that she's all happy with the spring coming and the sun and the nice, warm weather, I'll let it snow and freeze and be cold'
 
Yeah. Thank you.
 
And it's still cold now, 2 weeks later. I just hope spring will come soon.
In the mean time, doesn't matter if you have nice weather or not, you got to make these. they're absolutely delicious!
 

 
 
Lemon Blueberry Scones
from Pastry Affair
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 lemons, zested
Pinch of salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, cold and cubed
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 large egg
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles a coarse sand (alternatively, if using a stand mixer, mix in butter with paddle attachment until butter is pea-sized or smaller).
In a small bowl, whisk together the heavy whipping cream and egg until well blended. Pour cream into scone mixture and mix until it comes together as a dough. Stir in the blueberries (over-mixing the blueberries will burst the berries and dye the batter purple—try to avoid this). Note: scone batter may be very thick and make it difficult to incorporate blueberries by hand. You may add the blueberries into the flour mixture before adding the cream; more blueberries may burst and dye the batter purple, but the taste will be just the same.
On a lightly floured surface, place dough and form into a circle, flattening the top until dough is roughly an inch thick. Cut dough into 8 pie-shaped pieces and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until scones are lightly browned. Allow to cool to room temperature before glazing.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment